Monday, April 28, 2008

Question Without Answers

Its' really wierd,but its the Truth....

I was coming back home with my colleagues from office.I work in New York City in water st,and lives in Jersey city.That makes me walk about 15 mts to get the path train to my home.

Every day,I see a beggar in wheel chair.He does not have a leg.We always feel sorry about him.But on that day, I saw him with a "Apple IPod".Believe me..to confirm,I stood there for a second and confirmed that ,its a IPod. He was changing the songs in that. am so wierd too..I started thinking about that.He should have a computer with ITunes to manage that IPod.Does he own a computer ? who knows..

I have seen people asking for money in New York and Chicago Subways.Are they really poor?

These thoughts brought me back to India. A beggar used to come to my home every thursday.My Grand mom gives her Rs.1.Once by curiosity,I asked her about the number of homes that she goes on day.She said about 100.She gets atleast Rs.100 and some clothes and food.Thats well above average than the Poverty line in India.

Yes ofcourse ,there are real people who are under Poverty line and trying to make up a living.There are people who wants the money.1000's of them..they may not be beggars,they may have a home that is smaller than a Middle class men bath room.When will the charity money reaches them?

I still remember the kid who pulled my shirt in Mysore,asking me to buy a 50 paise candy.I gave him 5 Rs. and did not take the candy. Thats the money , I could give that kid at that time.Infact,I did not see the Candy,I was not powerful enough to see his face again.

4 comments:

jyothi said...

quite possible, the other day during my morning walk i saw a begger sleeping on the pavement.The thing which attracted me was a charger he had with him for the mobile phone.Couldn'y keep wondering, just like you, which make his mobile could be....hahaha...may be better than the one am having!

Rainbow said...

The homeless here are not entirely without support systems unlike our country. They get unemployment support from the Govt., there are shelters on winter nights run by goct and NGOs here, soup kitchens run by voluntary institutions .etc.

They still beg and pan-handle in NY and NJ, sometimes give you the feeling that they are homeless by choice.

Unlike that boy in mysore you were talking about. Reminded me of those sundal boys in the beach :(
Stark reminder to our privileged lives (regardless of our bellyaching of how we are most pained)

Good Job and welcome to the world of blogging!

-Ramya

pramod said...

Rakesh at the out set let me congratulate for entering into the bandwagon of amateur writers.

Pls try to convey precisely what u r intended to do. It takes time . Need patience.


Anyway congrats for ur effort

Rakesh Raman said...

Thanks for the Comments Pramodettan and Jyothi oppol..

And thanks Ramya!! am not sure who you are,but thanks!